The legacy of the Foundress
At the end of 1700, the two brothers Costantino and Benedetto Campagnola received in legate the Casale and the funds of the Marano di Valpolicella Post Office, from their father Carlo, Officer of the Hussars in the Kaiserlich Königliche Landwehr, the Territorial Defense Imperialregia Autro-Hungarian. Thus began the rural agricultural activity inherent in the vineyards registered in the Napoleonic summaries (land registry wanted by Napoleon Bonaparte when he arrived in Lombardy-Venetia, after defeating the Austrians in Rivoli Veronese in 1797), which were compiled between 1807 and 1816 and contain : parcel number (map), owner's name, toponym, intended use of the land or building, surface and are now kept in the State Archives of Venice.
Carlo Campagnola, Constantine's heir, in the mid-19th century, opened the first “direct retail” in the center of Verona, the Osteria under “Porta Borsari” where business went very well in the city crowded with soldiers. Unfortunately, he died at a young age of fulminant pneumonia, returning by carriage from the city. His wife Caterina, mother of nine children, did not lose heart and continued the family agricultural tradition, giving new vital impetus to the company, buying new funds and implementing the wine business. Giovanni with his brothers, who became heirs in the 1930s, for logistical reasons built a new winery in Paverno, a hamlet of Valgatara di Marano di Valpolicella. The Second World War, however, put an end to the activity of the Osteria in the center.
Renzo, Giovanni's heir, continues his father's business, passing it on to his son Nicola, who in 1990 took over and restructured the company's vineyards, projecting them into the extreme search for the typicality and excellence of the cru. The legacy of the Foundress Catherine is not limited only to the landed possession: she has transmitted in our family a heritage of inestimable values, which regulate our daily life and the approach to our work even today.
The twentieth century
The twentieth century
The story continues with the opening in the early twentieth century of our wine shop "The Wine of our Hills and its Funds" in the historic center of the city of Verona, at Porta Borsari (see picture).
Every morning, from Marano to Verona, the wine was dispatched to the shop: our first retail.
Tradition and Innovation
"Tradition is a sequence of successful innovations"
The link between tradition and innovation is necessary to achieve a successful result: essential is the ability to mix ancient but still current and value-bearing methods with today's, innovative and more efficient methods.
Today, strengthened by our hereditary heritage made up of traditions and values, we are visionaries in a sustainable future linked to the physical and climatic environment, with strong links with the social and economic system.